It’s Data Privacy Day – and here at Golden Frog we’re celebrating!
Sponsored by staysafeonline.org, Data Privacy Day is held on January 28 each year and was created to bring awareness to key issues surrounding privacy online. This year’s themes are respecting user privacy, safeguarding data and enabling trust. You can find a variety of resources on the Stay Safe Online website, and even download materials to participate in Data Privacy Day yourself!
Golden Frog Tips for Staying Safe Online
In honor of Data Privacy Day, we’ve compiled some tips on how you can stay safe online:
- Be aware: Privacy risks are out there. With hackers, snoops and insecure sites trying to take your information, it’s essential to understand and be aware of the risks so you can take steps to protect your privacy.
- Select providers you can trust: When selecting providers for privacy products (and other products!), it’s essential to choose those you can trust. Learn more about he importance of trust in our recent article “You are the Product: The Price of Free in the Growing Privacy Industry.“
- Look for “https” when browsing, and especially when making purchases: When browsing and making transactions online, make sure that the webpage address begins with “https.” The “s” stands for secure, and indicates that communication with the webpage is encrypted.
- Use a VPN when on Public Wi-Fi: Wi-Fi at coffee shops, airports and hotels is convenient, but it can also be unsecure. Without a VPN service encrypting your Internet connection, criminals can intercept traffic to steal sensitive data and communications.
- Use a VPN every time you connect: A VPN encrypts your Internet connection, protecting your browsing activity, personal communications and data from any hackers or third-party snoops – wherever you log on.
Golden Frog’s Efforts to Protect Internet Privacy
Golden Frog continued our fight for online privacy in 2015 – here’s a look at our efforts over the past year.
In 2015 we continued our fight for Internet privacy and freedom by supporting encryption, pushing for privacy legislation and fighting against government surveillance. We joined businesses and advocacy groups in supporting the Save Crypto petition, which asked President Obama to stand up for strong encryption. We also fought backdoor encryption, and Golden Frog president Sunday Yokubaitis spoke at HostingCon 2015 on the topic.
We also made two visits to Washington DC this year, in April and November, where we met with legislators and government officials to discuss the importance of online privacy legislation and advocate for ECPA reform. We also fought CISA, the Cybersecurity Information Sharing Act. Golden Frog believes in Internet privacy, security and freedom for everyone, and will continue our efforts in 2016.
- Join the conversation online with the hashtag #privacyaware
- Share with us how you stay safe online in the comments below
- Protect your online privacy and Try VyprVPN Free